Oven Roasted Chicken | Blue Frost Acres Recipe
Succulent roasted chicken is a household favorite. This chicken is perfectly seasoned and juicy!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1 roasting chicken
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried celery seed
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Place in a large plate or pan.
- Peel and quarter yellow onion and set aside. Mix rosemary, thyme, celery seed, basil and lemon juice in a bowl until evenly mixed.
- Smear the herb mix around the inside cavity of the chicken until evenly coated. Add the quartered onion to the cavity and close it loosely.
- Evenly coat the entire chicken with the sunflower oil. Make sure to get in all of the nooks and creases. Coat the entire chicken with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Finally, liberally coat the entire chicken with a good layer of paprika and place on a roasting rack in a deep pan. Add 3 or 4 cups of water to the bottom of the pan
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and place in the oven to cook. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Place in the oven and cook. Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Remove the foil and tear off pieces to cover the legs and knuckles. Turn the oven to broil. Put the chicken back in the oven for another 4 or 5 minutes until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
The drippings in the pan can be used to make chicken gravy.