Chowder is a hearty and creamy classic. This version gets some extra flavor from everyone's favorite ingredient - bacon. Quick and easy, this will fast become a family favorite.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 3 russet potatoes, rinsed, peeled (optional) and cubed
- 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen) corn
- 1 tsp. Blue Frost Acres garlic powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 32 oz. box chicken broth
- 1-1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional) to taste
- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon, cooked and diced
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove and drain on paper towels. When cooled, chop bacon and set aside.
- In a large stock pot add butter and melt. When the butter has melted add the onion and 1/4 tsp of salt to help the onion sweat. Cover and cook over low heat for 4-5 minutes until tender and transparent. Add garlic and corn and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and whisk. Slowly add chicken broth and then heavy cream. Turn heat up to medium-high, then add potatoes, remaining salt, pepper, cayenne and bacon. Simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are tender and the soup has thickened, remove from the heat. Serve immediately.