Roasted garlic has an amazing aroma and flavor! Mix into mashed potatoes. Use in place of mayonnaise on your favorite sandwich. Toss into steamed vegetables like broccoli. Add to creamy dressings, vinaigrettes, or dips.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 pound garlic (6 to 8 heads, depending upon size)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a serrated knife, slice off top quarter of garlic heads, exposing as many cloves as possible. Arrange garlic heads, cut side up, in an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish (make sure garlic heads sit flat).
- Season garlic with salt and pepper and sprinkle with thyme. Slowly pour oil over each head, letting it soak into and around cloves. Cover dish tightly with foil and roast until cloves are golden, completely soft, and begin to protrude slightly from skins, about 1 hour. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- From the bottom up, squeeze each head to push out cloves (peel skins from any completely enclosed cloves). Transfer garlic and cooking oil to an airtight container.
Garlic will keep, refrigerated, up to 2 weeks